- TOP TEN DIVORCE ISSUES-
1. Commencement, timing, venue (where should the case be heard)
2. mediation (non-binding discussions) v. litigation (hearings, trial, court enforced deadlines)
3. marital v. separate property. Generally, the former includes anything acquired during the marriage.
4. property distribution (who gets what)
5. debt allocation (who pays what)
6. maintenance (fka alimony) and imputed income (how much could your spouse be earning)
7. child custody (who has the children) and parenting time (when does the other spouse get to see them)
8. child support (determined by number of overnights and relative incomes)
9. tax issues (deductions, joint returns, refunds, etc.)
10. attorneys’ fees and costs (should one side pay the other's).